Pages

Sunday 15 April 2007

Australian Football is on the rise

Australian football has taken off. Since 16th November 2005 when Australia beat Uruguay to qualify for the 2006 World Cup life has been good. A-League, World Cup, Asian Champions League, 2007 Asia Cup, Olympic qualifiers men and women, Asian Futsal Championships, Futsal World Cup, and the Womens World Cup in China in September.

You get the picture.

I'll start with that match. No, not the Uruguay game, the Iran one in 1997. Sorry I had to. Its only since November 2005 that I can even discuss it.

Two nil up ,the Socceroos are cruising. We're off to the World Cup. Iran equalize and the night turned black.

Next morning I'm smacking some weeds down the garden. Depressed, angry and just plain teary if the truth be known. Four more years and only two significant games of football to be played in Australia. I heard a rustle from t'other side of hedge.

"G'day mate," thats what you say in Australia even if you're from somewhere else.
"G'day," he says.
"Where are you from," I ask recognising his foreign accent.
"Iran," he smiles

I never saw him again. The world can be a cruel place.

Got a game that still haunts you? Let me know

No comments: