Pages

Wednesday 30 May 2007

Canberran and Socceroo Carl Valeri expected to start on Saturday


Canberra’s Carl Valeri is expected to make his home debut for the Socceroos against old friends Uruguay, at Telstra Stadium, Sydney on Saturday night.

Football in the Capital caught up with Canberra’s newest Socceroo at training at Telstra Stadium today.

“Football wise, it’s been a fantastic six months. I won the (Italian) Serie C title with Grosseto and made my debut against China for the Socceroos in March,” said Valeri

Italian giants Inter Milan and Grosseto share Valeri’s contract.

“I’ve one more year on my contract, and the clubs will sort out where I play next year. I’d like to stay with Grosseto, but I’ll focus on that side of things in another few weeks,” said Valeri.

Valeri grew up in Canberra, counts Tuggeranong United juniors and Juventus among his former clubs, and remembers a time when football didn’t get so much coverage in Australia.

“It’s amazing being in the (Socceroos) camp. The hotel is decked out with green and gold balloons, there is a big welcoming sign and lots of media interest. When we go out everyone knows who we are, we’re footballers. Times have changed and it’s good. The whole set-up is so professional now.

“It’s a big honour to play for the Socceroos. I will be interested to see how I feel when I run out on Saturday night. I don’t know if I’m going to start, but it will be great. My family are coming to the game, so that will be special.”

Socceroos coach Graham Arnold describes Valeri as a ‘mini-Vinnie,’ referring to established Socceroos and ex-Canberra Cosmos star Vince Grella.

Valeri may play in the same defensive role as Grella, but unlike Grella he can score goals. Valeri’s goal in Grosseto’s 1-0 win away to Padova, on the last day of the Serie C season, secured the championship and promotion.

“It was great, the highlight of my career. It’s a very hard league to play in, very tough; players are desperate to get to the next level. We went back to our stadium at midnight and the place was packed. It was a great feeling, very satisfying. It has been a long season and my body is tired, but my motivation to play for the Socceroos couldn’t be higher.”

Valeri’s path to the Socceroos has not been easy.

“I’ve been overseas for five years. You question if you should stay. It’s tough, but I’ve had great family support, without them I wouldn’t have stayed.”

“When I got the call to play against China, I realised all my hard work had paid off. It was an opportunity I’d wanted all my life, and I was determined to make the most of it.”

“Playing for the Socceroos is much easier than playing with Grosseto. No disrespect to my Grosseto teammates, but the Socceroos has better players who make it easier. You get more time on the ball. The players, I know most of them, are a friendly group. Everyone is very supportive, the older guys help the new players.”

To the Canberra junior players he says this.

“I started at Tuggeranong United. To succeed in football, you need to work hard, and never give up.

What was the highlight of his junior career?

“Oh, that’s easy, when I was 15, I played for Juventus in the (Canberra)U19 league and we won the Championship. Friends like Adam Morgan, Steve Arnott played in that side. My old man (Ex-Capital Football President Walter Valeri) was the coach! It’s the only trophy I’ve won until two weeks ago with Grosseto.

Valeri is only 23; he has represented Australia at all four levels of the game. He played in the FIFA Under 17 World Cup in Trinidad, FIFA World Youth Cup in UAE, and with the Olyroos in the 2004 Athens Olympics. His Socceroo cap completes the set.

“I want to get through this week, and see if I get selected for the Asia Cup 2007.”

With Australia favourites for the AFC Asia Cup 2007, after its performances at last years World Cup, Valeri if selected may well add to his trophy cabinet.

Either way we will be hearing a lot more about Carl Valeri, Canberra’s latest Socceroo, as his international career develops.

The Australian national team’s starting line-up to face Uruguay is expected to be;

Brad Jones (Middlesboro, England); Brett Emerton (Blackburn, England), Lucas Neill (West Ham, England), Patrick Kisnorbo (Leicester City, England), Michael Thwaite (Wislaw Krakow, Poland), Carl Valeri (Grosseto, Italy), Luke Wilkshire (FC Twente, Holland), Mile Sterjovski ( Basle, Switzerland), Jason Culina (PSV Eindhoven,Holland); Brett Holman, (FC Nijmegen, Holland); Scott McDonald. (Celtic, Scotland).

The game will be showed live on Fox Sports. Telecast starts Saturday 7pm on Main Event Channel.









No comments: