Pages

Tuesday 15 May 2007

How was your Dad?

I played the game for years, scored a few goals and occasionally even passed it. But for one bloke it was never enough.

Me Irish Dad.

He'd been brought up on the Gaelic games, a hurler he was, so what would he know about football.

Mostly the teams I played for won, occasionally a title, always a cup, but the comments were rarely positive.

"Pass it, or do the simple thing, " was his expert advice. Not once but every minute.

Like I wanted to lose the ball or the game for that matter.

As I matured into a young man, I'd give him the two fingered salute. Think of it as a thank you for the advice given that day, that moment.

Yep Dads can be great mentors, great encourager's. So Dads, when you're out on the field watching your Ronaldo, be careful with your advice. When he matures he too may give you the two fingered salute.

And that ain't a great look now is it?

Got any tales of parental advice, let me know

No comments: