Pages

Monday 2 July 2007

Ben Wilson: He's officiated at the 2006 World Cup.

Ben Wilson: One of Canberra's top referees




Would you like to represent Australia at a major football tournament?


Can’t shift Mark Viduka from the striker’s position that should rightfully be yours?


There is another way to go to the World Cup.


Ben Wilson is a Canberran referee who loves Australia’s move into Asia.


He represented Australia at the FIFA 2006 World Cup in Germany. This year alone he’s officiated at Asian Champions League, Olympic qualifiers and of course the A-League Grand Final.


Wilson is a referee and part of a team on nine Australian referees accredited through the Asian Football Confederation.


Speaking at the launch of the Kang Cup in Canberra recently, Wilson said, “The move to Asia has been great. Instead of maybe one tournament a year in Oceania, I’ve already done Olympic qualifiers and Asian Champions League games in Uzbekistan, Iran, Hong Kong and United Arab Emirates to name a few. And I expect more games and travel after this two month break around the Asian Cup.”


“I love refereeing, you make great friends and get to see places I would never go with my family.”


Wilson, like many refs , started life as a player.


“I was playing Division 2 in Canberra, and then took up refereeing at 15. At 18 I got serious and have never looked back.”


“I was part of the Australian four man team at the World Cup.”


“It’s hard work. We train as a group of refs two nights a week. On top of that I do my own personal fitness.”


“In England and Germany refs are professional, but for Australians we have to manage work and refereeing commitments.”


“I have a good relationship with my employer. I’ve travelled for ten weeks this year alone. Refereeing costs don’t really cover my loss of earnings. In fact I sometimes take work with me when I go overseas.”


What frustrates you? Does Ross Aloisi get under your nose, or maybe some other player!


“No,” he laughs, “no one player upsets me. Occasionally I get annoyed when fans or players don’t understand the rules and dispute a decision which you know is correct. You don’t get chance to explain the rules during a game. But mostly it is great.”


I’m having a two month break at the moment so I get to catch up with family.”

No comments: