Pages

Monday 30 July 2007

Lydia Williams waits on Matildas selection

Canberra's Indigenous Australian keeper Lydia Williams has been given the all clear to play in the up coming World Cup in China.

Lydia, had her wrist in a cast recently, and missed the Olympic qualifiers against North Korea.

"I'm fine now, " said Lydia today. "I had the cast off two weeks ago and now I just have to wait to see if I'm in the squad."

With thirty players called into the recent camp at Coffs Harbour, Lydia like the other three keepers will have a nervous wait overnight.

Coach Tom Sermanni is expected to announce the squad of 23 tomorrow.

Lydia had just returned from work when I spoke to her today. Just six weeks out from the World Cup the thought crossed my mind how different life was for out female stars.

Can you imagine Mark Scharzwer having to do a job while waiting to see if he was in the World Cup squad!

Still good luck to Lydia and all the players from the ACT.

Amy Chapman, Caitlin Munoz and of course Sally Shipard who writes each week for this blog will all be aiming to get the phone call tomorrow from Sermanni to say, "Yes you're in you're off to the World Cup."




No comments: