Pages

Wednesday 19 September 2007

Nicole Somi: Heading for glory?


Belconnen United's Nicole Somi hopes to lead her team to victory in Sunday's Grand Final.

"We're a close group and we'll have a big party on Sunday," said Nicole speaking at Capital Football's Grand Final breakfast this morning.

Nicole, a former Young Matilda, says football has played an important part in her life.


"I started playing when I was eight, my whole family plays. Most of friends are soccer players. I've been successful at it, so it's been enjoyable. I've travelled the World with football, with the Young Matildas

"I've been to China, Russia, Singapore, Malaysia, Papua New Guinea, and Thailand"

Nicole has no regrets about missing out on the Matilda's World Cup campaign.

"I looked at it realistically when I finished with the Young Matildas last year. The chances of me making the Matildas wasn't high, and I'm at Uni now studying Coaching Science so I hope to get into coaching over the next couple of years.

"A lot of the Young Matildas have stopped playing after missing out this year. The gap between the Young Matildas and next level down is to big. There is no national league to go back to, so it's hard for players to step from Young Matildas back to club football."

On Sunday Nicole expects Belconnen to win.

"We've only conceded one goal in the last five matches, there is a really good feeling among the team. I think we'll win."


No comments: