Pages

Friday 21 September 2007

Press Conference: Matildas Friday



Goalscorers Cheryl Salisbury, Collette McCallum talk from Tianjin.

Good news is there are no injury concerns other than Thea Slatyer's hip injury. A decision will be made on her tomorrow.

Cheryl Salisbury said,"For me four World Cup's and we've finally made it through to the next stage. I'm delighted to have made it with this group of girls.

"Hopefully, it will have a big impact on the girls watching or playing back home, just like the Socceroos did."


With five minutes to go The Matildas were 2-1 down.

"I said to the girls it only takes a few seconds and passes to score a goal. We held our nerve and we did it," said Salisbury

"As the ball came to me, it all happened in slow motion. All the Canadian players were going one way, and I thought I'd just hit it to the other side. And it went in.

"For me, to create history and put the team through is a great achievement, but it's the whole team that got us here.

"Brazil can score goals,so we need to not concede. But we have some great weapons. Lisa didn't score last night, but came close, Sarah came close, Caitlin came close, and Collette scored. So we have players who can hurt teams.

"We'll see which team Tommy selects, we have faith in him and he in us."

"This team has heart, it was an emotional roller coaster. But you have to dig deep in these tournaments.

"In 1995 at my first World Cup, I don't think we were called the Matildas, or that the public even knew we had a women's team or that there was a World Cup. Now it's great that the young players can see that there is a team and they have somewhere to aim for."

Collette McCallum doesn't usually take the free kicks, but last night she did when it mattered.

McCallum, "I practiced the free-kicks at training, and I felt confident so I gave it ago. Shunsuke Nakamura, and John Collins from Celtic were my influences. I love watching Nakamura.

"Lydia Williams showed me the dance celebration and I thought we'd just give it ago. It's a little dance thing where you touch feet. It wasn't planned, I just did it.

"I'm feeling okay, I'm happy about the rest day tomorrow so we'll be rested for the big game on Sunday.

"Brazil play similarly to the men's side, and we'll probably have to play similar to the Socceroos, but we have some great players.

"We deserve to be here and hopefully we can keep going further. Hopefully we won't concede early.

Collette was born in Scotland, but came to Australia when she was four.

"I learnt all my football in Australia. That's what I did when I was younger, just kicked a ball around all the time."

And hasn't it paid off.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Eamonn,

I'm all for you covering the matildas at the world cup (it is the world cup after all), but do you not think you're concentrating on the women's side of things a bit much? 13 of your last 14 blogs have been on the ladies, and I know it isn't too PC to say it, but who really gives a monkey's about women's football? It's dire to watch, and no one will ever care. Women's football is rank amateur stuff.

Your blog is 'Football in the Capital'. Last time I checked, it is finals time in the A.C.T. leagues. Let's read all about it! Premier League, State League, it's all good! Oh, and more A League stuff please. Sorry to be so negative, but it's utterly disapointing to log on each day to be faced with more freakin Matildas dross. Many thanks.

Eamonn said...

I am thinking about your observations!!

Look on the positive, the Matildas may soon be out..within a week or so...and I'll have to write about something else:)

you'll be delighted to know I've got a radio show starting in town soon, heaps of A-League and local football stuff....and dare I say it some Matildas stuff....

so hopefully your desires will be satisfied a little...

cheers

Eamonn

Eamonn said...

oh and Andy this weeks podcast has 15 minutes of A-League stuff, surely that's worth a few written posts

if we're counting!

Hamish Alcorn said...

Andy, I think you're in some kind of denial, because the WWC football I'm watching at the moment is so much better than the A-League games I'm watching at the moment that it's embarrassing.