Pages

Tuesday 27 November 2007

The Australian in me started to stir..even for a friendly.

There was 80,000 plus when the teams came out for the Sydney Galaxy game, it was electric for a friendly, even on my telly:)

I'm not normally into friendlies no matter how many people, or Beckham's on show, but when the game started I just wanted Sydney to thrash Galaxy.

And I heard the Cove singing and I thought yes I know these guys. These are the ones who I listen to every week.

and the Sydney FC banner they had was brilliant, "70,000 people, we play every week."

I wanted the A-League stars to do well, to do better than well.

and then..Alex Brosque scored once and then twice. Yesssss!

Why was I cheering? It was a friendly but the Australian in me wanted, needed Sydney to do well.

And the Sydney crowd lifted, and started to cheer for Sydney FC, and then Ruben Zadkovich scored.

3-0 after 30 minutes. Not bad for a friendly. Not bad for Sydney FC, not bad for Australia.

But most of us Aussies already knew the A-League was fine. We've seen the Asian Champions League. We've seen the National Soccer League. Beating a US side even with a Beckham.

Aussies can do that, we knew that.

No comments: