Pages

Thursday 13 March 2008

Caitlin Munoz off to California

"My Dad used to teach me how to dive in the kitchen!"


Matildas Star Caitlin Munoz joined us at the Nearpost this week. Caitlin discussed the Matildas plans for the year, her upcoming move to California, what it takes to be a Matilda and the role of her Dad, Andy Munoz, Weston Creek State League Coach.

Type your summary here


Caitlin, the Matildas beat New Zealand in three games recently, so what next for the Matildas?

“We came away with three good wins (2-0, 2-1 and 4-2) which is good for our first games of the year. It’s still hard to come to grips with the fact we will miss out on the Olympics. We have another camp at the beginning of April which will prepare us for two games against United States in Alabama and North Carolina. That will be a big test.”

And you’re staying in America after the games?

“Myself, Sarah Walsh and Collette McCallum, we’re heading off to play for Pali Blues in California in the W League. Hopefully the team we are playing for is a really good team and we can come away with the league.

“Some players have agents, but I just got an email from the club. There’s no pay, but I won’t work over there. The club will put us up in a house, they look after us.

“I played in Boston (USA) in 2004. I had the best time ever. It refreshed the mind. It’s repetitive staying here, same things three years in a row, so it was good to do something different.

“Pali Blues will release us for the Asia Cup in May, which is in Thailand or Kuala Lumpur, and also the Peace Cup in Korea in June.

“We’ve got a good chance in the Asia Cup we were Runners-up to China last time, losing on penalties.”

After your time in America and Asia Cup etc what then?

“Well all the players are hoping for a Women’s A-League. I’d love to see a Women’s A-League team in Canberra or even a men’s team.”

Your playing at the top of Australian sport has the path been easy?

“No, it’s never easy. I’ve had a couple of major injuries, two knee reconstructions, but you have to keep pursuing your dream. I was training with the Matildas in 2003 but wasn’t making the touring teams. That was very hard to take, so nothing is easy.
“I’ve also had ankle injuries, and shin splints, so it’s hard to come back, but I enjoy playing, my teammates and travelling the world. I love travelling going away with the team and then coming home. I’ve been to China, Korea, New Zealand, USA, Tonga and Canada.”

Where did the journey start?

“I started with Belnorth Penguins, a mixed team, then played with boys until I made ACTAS at 14 then went to the AIS.

Do young girls have to play against boys if they want to make it to the top in
Women’s football?

“I guess it helps, as they (the boys) are fitter and stronger and that’s what you need if you want to go to the next level but some of the girls in the Matildas have played in women’s teams all their lives.

“I started as a centre back for Canberra Eclipse, then got injured and when I came back the next season I was a midfielder. Then I got injured again and when I came back I played up front with Amy Wilson.”

Did you always want to be a footballer?

“I guess so. Dad was into football and that’s where I got it. He used to teach me how to dive in the kitchen! He’s Spanish but I don’t think I’ve ever used the dives. He Coaches Women’s Weston Creek State League One.

“Dad’s always been a big support. It was awesome having him at the World Cup in China. It was the first time he saw me play for Australia. I loved it.”
Thanks Caitlin and good luck in America.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Can't wait for the Matildas to kick it up in Cali!