Pages

Friday 30 May 2008

The Weekender: The threat from Iraq.

You've heard of the Glasgow kiss well what about the Baghdad caress.


From the left Iraqi stars Younis Mahmoud, and Hawar Mulla Mohammed. This photo was taken at last year's Asian Cup in Bangkok, just after Hawar had given Younis a Baghdad caress in the middle of a game.

The Weekender this week reflects on my first meeting with the two stars of the Asian Cup Champions, and my first ever question at a Press Conference.


During a tense moment in the game against Thailand, Hawar Mulla Mohammed nutted Younis Mahmoud.

Younis, the Iraqi captain, had failed to pass the ball, so Hawar made the caress.

I have no problem with that. Passing is important in any game after all and these things need to be kept in proportion. I think Hawar did.

The next day wandering around the players hotel, the lift door opened and look who were together, although not to close!

"We're all friends now, " I suggested to the two Iraqi's.

Hawar laughed and put his arm around Younis. "No problem." he said.

The story didn't end there. At the Press Conference before the Iraq Australian game in the Asia Cup, Hawar was the player designated to speak with his Coach Jorvan Viera.

Well I'd been to about five press conferences by this time in my life. I was bored silly listening to Graham Arnold, Brett Emerton, and others having to answer questions over and over about the heat, the preparation and the preparation and the heat.

Arnie's facial reactions were of interest but that's another story.

So when Hawar walked in I thought some serious journo from SBS, The Sydney Morning Herald or elsewhere would ask about the headbutt.



No-one did. I waited and waited but no-one did. Apparently few, if any, had seen the incident. So I asked the question at the Press Conference. My first ever question.

"Hawar, given you gave your Captain a Baghdad Caress in the last game, how is your relationship with Younis Mahmoud now."

Hawar was apologetic, said he didn't mean and things are fine.

But then the Iraqi Coach Jorvan Vieira, who is a tremendously warm and friendly man, it must be said, asked me a question!

In the middle of the Press Conference. That will teach me to open my mouth.

What did he ask?

"Do you have brothers?"

To which I replied, "I do, three." Because I do have three.

"When you were young (nice dig Jorvan) did you not fight with your brothers."

Well I'm not going to let him a way with that am I.

"Yes I did, but now I'm older I don't," I replied. "And wouldn't you be concerned such indiscipline could be punished by the AFC?"

"It's not a problem. We deal with things in our own way."

No worries Mr. Vieira, and I'm impressed the way you defended your player. But in England Lee Bowyer and Kieran Dyer earned suspensions for having handbags in the middle of a game, so why not your player?

Anyway I didn't ask another question at any press conference for the rest of the day:)

Here's what www.sportal.com.au Chief of Staff, Bren O'Brien wrote the next day.

http://sportal.com.au/default.aspx/football-news-display/iraqi-coach-dismisses-disharmony-30955

On Sunday these guys will be a major threat to our World Cup hopes. Hawar will burn down the left wing and Younis Mahmoud, Runner-Up in the AFC Player of the Year 2007, will hope to stun the passionate sell-out crowd with one or maybe more goals.

With Iraqi fans expected to be loud and proud, the tension of a World Cup Qualifier this promises to be the Australian sporting event of the year so far.

On a side note: Younis Mahmoud has his own website. He has a poll for fans asking where Younis should play next. Spain rates 50% ahead of England, France and Scotland with just 2%. He currently plays in Qatar.




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm worried about this game. We're not at our strongest and the Iraqis have it in them to cause an upset. They've had a couple of poor results so far but their asian cup win would suggest they've got something about them...

I think we really need the 3 points from this game as I wouldnt bet on us taking anything in Dubai next week or from Qatar in Doha the following week. We've shown how ropey we can be in away fixtures when the conditions aren't to our liking, and according to the weather reports it's a ridiculous 40 degrees forecast in dubai for the return leg. Scorchin!

Anyway, I'm well looking forward to the game on Sunday. It's live on Sky Sports here in the UK (8am kick off - ay ay ay) so hopefully I'll be celebrating a thumping win by breakfast.

Ole!

Eamonn said...

Andy, you are not the only one worried!

Iraq have more than something, they have pace and flair across the front six players.

This team ain't China or even the poor Qatar side that came to Australia. This will be our biggest test so far.

Will Carney be found out at left-back? Will Beauchamp be able to catch Younis Mahmoud, Can anyone create for Australia?

It will be "interesting" but at least it's a real challenge and even if we lost, we ain't out and surely Neill's Kennedy's and Sterjovski's partners will have given birth by the next game:)

We could win away. Aussies aren't so good when they are favourites...not yet.

Don't forget to set the alarm:)

And Celtic champions:)