Pages

Thursday 19 June 2008

ATTACKING TALENT TO TERRORISE MARINERS

Russ Gibbs writes: With only nine days until the big match with the Central Coast Mariners, the ACT Rockets....



By Russ Gibbs

With only nine days until the big match with the Central Coast Mariners, the ACT Rockets held their third training session at the AIS Football Fields on a mild, yet cool, Wednesday evening on the 18th June.

Coaches Dean Ugrinic and Scott Conlon were all too aware that time is swiftly running out to mould an eclectic group of talented individuals into a team to strike fear into the hearts of their illustrious visitors.

The scourge of the unavailability of players to make sessions reared its head again with Canberra Olympic midfielder Trent Flanigan and Queanbeyan City standby striker Goran Josifovski, who has been in scintillating form in recent weeks, unable to make training.

Indeed, it’s been a tough week for Ugrinic and Conlon with original selection David Brouwer (O’Connor Knights) forced to withdraw from the squad after tearing a medial ligament in his knee. The highly talented Canberra Olympic stopper Lucas Roth is drafted in to take his place.

With Steve Rezzo also doubtful it’s a big blow for the Rockets preparations. “We have unfortunately lost David (Brouwer) for the Mariners match,” Ugrinic confirmed, “but in Lucas Roth we believe we have a great replacement who should fit in nicely with our game plan. Steve may make the match, but at the moment it’s unclear.”

The evening sessions once again focused on possession and the need to keep the ball and move it at pace to really test out the Central Coast Mariners movement.

Canberra Olympic midfielder/striker Travis Dries is under no illusions about how tricky the game will be. “We know that their decision making and fitness will be that much higher than ours but we are working on rectifying that,” he commented.

The twenty-five year old attacking player has been impressed with the way the Rockets have approached the task to date. “Dean (Ugrinic) has been focusing on what is required to compete on Friday week,” Dries continued, “and that is the ability to step up our game to their level and try and match it with them across the field.”


Dries, who won the ACT Golden Boot from an advanced attacking midfield role back in 2006 is conscious of how he can improve his game. “I definitely need to work on my fitness!” he said. “I would say that my speed is my greatest asset and at Olympic we have tried to isolate defenders so I can run at them – that was where I got a lot of goals from in 2006.”

One player who will be familiar with the way the Mariners set about the game next week is central midfield lynchpin Marcin Zygmunt. The Woden Valley captain had a trial with the Mariners a year ago and talks glowingly of their set-up.

“It went really well,” he said. “It opened up my eyes to what is required to make it at the highest level of the game. The professionalism and intensity that they show in each session has had a marked improvement on my own game. On and off the field their set-up and training is first rate.”

The former Canberra Olympic playmaker, having had a taste of what is on offer, is understandably keen to get another shot. “I want to see how far I can go in the game,” Zygmunt responded when asked what his goals were.

“I would love another go at the Mariners and obviously would like an A-League contract! I realise though that it will take an enormous amount of hard work and dedication to get there, but I will try my best and see where it takes me.”


What has stood out in the practice sessions to date has been the venom that Zygmunt manages to impart into his shooting, off either foot, when afforded the chance. “Well I used to be a forward,” he said. “So I like to think that shooting is one of my strengths as well as being able to distribute the ball. As far as weaknesses go I need to work on my aerial ability. For a guy my size I should be winning more headers than I do!”

It’s evident that the concept of the Rockets appeals to the competitive nature of the players. Both Travis Dries and Marcin Zygmunt were enthusiastic supporters of the idea.

“It’s brilliant playing with the best players in Canberra,” Zygmunt mentioned. “It really means I have to step up my game and I thoroughly enjoy the technical side of the coaching we receive here. You don’t get many opportunities to play at this level, so I enjoy the intensity.” Dries concurred with his new team mate saying, “I get along well with all the lads here and it’s great to have the chance to play against an A-League team.”

Across the damp outfield coach Ugrinic was busy putting strike duo Goran Veljanovski and Paul Ivanic through their paces, hoping to build a rapid understanding that will terrorise the Mariners defence. It’s a partnership that Canberra FC striker Paul Ivanic is looking forward to.

“I think Goran and I will compliment each other well,” Ivanic said. “We are trying to work off each other and he has been banging in the goals this season.”

The tall forward is no slouch in front of the net either having ten ACT Premier League goals to his name already this term. “I am happy with the way I am playing but I always expect better from myself,” Ivanic continued. “Hopefully both Goran and I can get on the scoresheet next Friday and we can cause some problems. I like to break naturally from deep and take advantage of any space that is available so whether I get the chance to do that on Friday, we will wait and see!”

After growing up at Canberra Deakin (now Canberra FC) and playing all his local football there, Ivanic had spells at the Canberra Cosmos, Sydney United and the Belconnen Blue Devils so he knows what it’s like to be selected amongst the playing elite of the region.

“It’s good to be selected as it means the people that matter, the coaches, believe you to be the best in your position in the League,” he told us. “Playing with all these guys is great. They are a good group and everyone gets on well together.”

At twenty-five Paul is realistic about what the future holds for him as a footballer. “At this time of my life I need to look after my work commitments and that sort of thing.

However, if I do get a decent offer on paper then of course I would seriously consider it,” he smiled. With excellent strength and speed and poise in front of goal Ivanic looks to be the archetype of the modern centre-forward, so what aspects of his game does he feel he needs to work on?

“My concentration,” he replied. “Sometime during matches I drift in and out a little bit so I would like to be able to focus fully for the full ninety minutes.”

Judging by the way the majority of chances that Ivanic and Veljanovski were planting past Nathan Denham last night, given an iota of space the striking duo could help provide a massive sporting upset at Deakin Oval. Countdown to lift off continues……

No comments: