Pages

Thursday 20 November 2008

April Fools day to confirm Aussie World Cup passage.

Oh Rebecca Wilson, you must be feeling stupid today. Do you know how much the World Cup brings to Australian football:)

Australia will, I believe confirm their passage to their World Cup if they can beat Uzbekistan in Sydney on April 1...with three games to go!

The table stands thus

Australia 9pts from 3 games (1 home 2 away)
Japan 7pts from 3 games ( 1 home 2 away)
Qatar 4pts from 4 games ( 3 home 1 away)
Bahrain 1pt from 3 games ( 2 home 1 away)
Uzbekistan1 pt from 3 games ( 1 home 2 away)

remaining fixtures

Australia : Japan (a) Uzbekistan (h) Qatar (a) Bahrain (h) Japan (h)

Japan : Australia (h) Bahrain (h) Uzbekistan (a) Qatar (h) Australia (a)

Qatar : Uzbekistan (a) Bahrain (a) Australia (h) Japan (a)

Bahrain : Uzbekistan (a) Japan (a) Qatar (h) Australia (a) Uzbekistan (h)

Uzbekistan : Bahrain (h) Qatar (h) Australia (a) Japan (h) Bahrain (a)

We need to finish second at worst and if we beat Uzbekistan irrespective of the result in Japan we'll have twelve points.

I believe Uzbekistan will beat Qatar in their next game and indeed Bahrain before they face Australia.

Uzbeks would have 7 points at most when they come to Sydney. A win for us we have 12 minimum. Uzbeks could reach 13 at most but highly unlikely given they have one point just now.

If Qatar get beat in Tashkent as I think they will, they will have at best 7 points heading into games against Australia and Japan. They cannot reach 12 points in my view.

And remember all teams have something to play for as they are all fighting for the third play-off spot and all have a big chance of reaching that spot.

Australia will qualify if they beat Uzbekistan, of course if they beat Japan it will be celebration time on April 1, I believe.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I concur with your calculations. I am so confident in fact that I have booked a flight to Australia next year for my annual trip home so that it coincides with the Uzbekistan game in Sydney. I missed the Uruguay game in 05 and I'm determined not to miss the big qualification game again. Following the scores on livescore.com from my desk at work aint quite the same as being there. Fingers crossed that April 1 is the big day!