Pages

Friday 21 November 2008

FFA: Get Heather Kayatz (and me) a ticket now!!!

Okay it's sort of funny, but I'm not laughing...just yet.

I've always wanted to go to a big Asian World Cup Qualifier so when Australia drew Japan in Tokyo I thought I'm off.

Sucked in by prices of $130 one way on JetStar I managed to get a price of $1000 for a return trip..funny how the price always ends up a bit higher than you think.

Anyway got my flight just had to wait for my match tickets...and lobbed my name on to the Green and Gold Army forum so the FFA could see the numbers who needed tickets.

And to make it an occasion I encouraged my brother and his Japanese partner to fly in from England.

Can't wait, a great occasion.

72,000 seats in Yokahama Stadium.

And Adam Gwynne, God bless him, emailed me to say tickets were on sale at 4pm yesterday.

Now I've followed the Socceroos with interest and noticed the away end in Tashkent, Doha and Manama. 100 people maybe at most, with heaps of room.

Okay Japan is a big one, but seeing the numbers of interested fans on various fan forums this was never going to sell out.

And I'm a seasoned football traveller so you get a feel for how difficult or otherwise it would be to get a ticket.

Anyhoo...I, the idiot, forgot about the 4pm deadline I was busy getting the Canberra A-League bid moving, and at 6pm logged on to see TICKET ALLOCATION EXHAUSTED.

At first I laughed, in that nervous sort of way. My brother is going to kill me.

Then I thought I've just wasted $1,000 and the rest to go and watch Australia in Japan on the telly!

The FFA released 200 tickets for Australian fans. Yes 200.

They have held 1800 for rip-off expensive tour parties, three different groups making money out of the fans.

It's a disgrace.

Fans should come first, not corporate entities.

In this case 500 tickets would probably have been enough to release to fans then the Corporate Travel can have the rest.

I'm livid. As are many more deserving fans.

What about the fans who actually went to Bahrain....they were in the air when tickets went on sale.

This is complete madness, and completely unacceptable.

If it's true Australia only got 2,000 tickets for a 72,000 World Cup Qualifier then this too is madness and the FFA are not doing their job.

And Aussie fan "Heather" mentioned on Fox by Simon Hill the other night, she is well-known and travels to most if not all Socceroos game...even she missed out.

Football is about the grassroots, the community and the fans.

If the FFA are serious about the fans they'd better do something and quick as why the hell would you bother to get a ticket for a home game if they treat us like this for away games.

I've contacted all my media contacts, and will contact the FFA today.

I'll let you know the outcome, but it should never have come to this, given the FFA knew how many fans were travelling etc.

As for Foxtravel Sports, The Fanatics groups and other...you make my blood boil.

What football fan would ever want to travel to a game with such a group. And especially at that price!!

and I'll be bagging you on my radio show, here on the blog until you get Heather and hte rest of us a ticket!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

i feel your pain eamonn. The ffa pulled a similar stunt with the holland game a few months back by giving all the tickets to the fanatics to distribute. They only made a couple of hundred tickets available for individual sale and the vast majority were only available if you bought one of their overpriced package tours. The ffa really need to start looking after the real fans and not just look to line the pockets of those fanatics wankers.

Anonymous said...

hi eamonn,

ffa are really not looking after the fans on this one. is 2000 tickets all they could get? and if so, did they have to allocate them the way they did? sometimes i wonder about our new leaders. better than before, but not perfect either.

i think you are one of the lucky ones. have you thought about getting your brother`s japanese partner to buy tickets? just get tickets for anywhere in the stadium. you won`t be in the aussie contingent, but you would be at the game. in whatever area of the stadium you want.

its gotta be better than watching from a bar. unless you want to be surrounded by fellow aussie fans, then an aussie bar or something might be showing on a big screen.

clayton

Eamonn said...

Yeh Clayton

check your emails...an offer you can't refuse:)

Eamonn

Anonymous said...

Welcome to the FFA, great business wise but diabolically chocking on fan management issues

Pretty disgusting that we have to buy tickets off their rip-off Sydney based commercial partners

This was the good thing about the Asian Cup, FFA got nothing, even though Thai Ticketmaster was a tad tricky, it enabled fan institutions like GGArmy to to make up their own package tours, where hard core football fans could be together as well as not getting ripped off. Allowed for flexibility with the trip too. Can bet they'll screw everyone over on World Cup tickets again, hopefully I can get mine off FIFA, shame I may not be with rest of Aussie fans though...

Not to mention all the other fan related problems they have regarding HEM, Perth Glory 10 year anniversary celebrations and the like...

I remember MVFC tried getting some former Fanatics guy for away ACL travel...needless to say it didn't work. Fortunately for us, so far many games haven't been a sell out, but Japan away is a different issue

NUFCMVFC

Anonymous said...

Does the Japanese ticket place sell an 'away end' like they always do here? If so you could just buy from them. Always better to avoid the FFA and their 'fan's groups' (aka tour companies).

Brendan said...

According to story below, looks like the FFA have responded to the pressure with more tickets to be released on December 3 and at $A60 each sounds like good value too for those that can travel to Japan -

see http://au.fourfourtwo.com/news/89617,extra-oz-tickets-for-japan-clash.aspx

Anonymous said...

Yay,

I wonder if these have been diverted fro sale by their sale company partners?

Either way, is good if more are available

Let's hope they more properly sort out World Cup allocation too

NUFCMVFC