Pages

Sunday 15 July 2007

Canberra Football fans in Bangkok

Spot the Koala


From the left:
Walnuts, Macca, Jozo, (All Tuggeranong United boys) Rod Lynes, Ian Price, Chris Conti, Kate Parker, Sean Blunt, Stephen Blunt, and Gordo with Koala.

This story first appeared in the Canberra Times. Thanks to all the Canberrans for turning up.

When Socceroo and Canberran Carl Valeri looked up into the stands at Rajamangala Stadium, Bangkok on Sunday night he saw the symbol of the Canberra junior club he once played for amongst the Green and Gold Army.

“I was on the bench during the Oman game and I thought I recognised the symbol. Then I read Tuggeranong United. It was awesome, really inspiring.”

Walnut, Macca, Jozo and Gordo, as the lads are known are all Tuggeranong United players following the Socceroos Asian Cup adventure in Bangkok. Gordo carries his cuddly good luck charm, Koala, with him to games.

“Koala was at the World Cup in Germany so I thought he should come here as well.”

Rod Lynes, ANU Technical Director wanted to see the Socceoos first venture into the Asia Cup. “I’ve been to four World Cup’s including Germany. Playing in Asia allows us to engage with Asian countries on a number of levels. The other day we were playing football on the beach with a group of Omani’s. Which other sports code enables that.”

Kate Parker had seen her parents go to Germany last year.

“They love the Socceroos and when they asked me if I like to come this time, I jumped at the chance.”

The group were in good spirits before the Iraq game. All were confident of victory.

Sean Blunt had been watching the Oman game which ended in a 1-1 draw with a late equalizer from Tim Cahill.

Sitting at home in Belconnen he thought, “These guys need all the support they can get. Wouldn’t it be great if I could get over? I got the last seat on the plane, and here I am.”

Australia plays Thailand in their last group game on Monday night 10:30AEST. If Australia win and Iraq draw or beat Oman, Australia and Thailand will both have four points. The team who won the game (in this scenario Australia) between these two sides will go through.

Kate Parker said “I’m booked through to the final. So I hope the Aussies make it.”

No comments: