Pages

Friday 13 June 2008

Kath Temple Football hero.


Weston Creek's Cath Temple and Nearpost Host Russ Gibbs in the temporary 2XX Studio.



As football registrations continue to boom across Canberra, our local clubs rely on an increasing number of unsung heroes to provide children with the opportunity to play.
Kath Temple, from Woden Valley, has a passion for children, for their development and thankfully for the sporting community of Canberra, for fooball.

Kath has played football for fourteen years. She is now a Kanga Cup Co-Cordinator, as well as the Woden Valley Kanga Cup Co-ordinator. Kath is Wodens’ Junior Rooball Co-ordinator, she also coaches her sons Under 12 side. She has worked extensively in her professional capacity as Childcare Director and School Age care director at the YMCA, and brings many of her professional skills and observations to her various football volunteer roles.

Kath joined us at the Nearpost this week.

“I think if you have a passion for something you really find time. This is important to me. I played for 14 years, I have a son who plays in the Under 12’s,” opened Kath.

“I coach because my son nagged me for 3 years. I fell in love with it, it’s a great side of the game, and I revel in the opportunity to be around as many kids as possible.

“I was a Director of Childcare for 18 years. My professional background is Childcare, and School Age care and holiday programmes with the YMCA. I love it.
Playing Career

“I played for 14 years with University of Canberra. In my time there I had an exceptional coach in Paul Fitzpatrick. Fitzy taught me almost everything I know.

“I have 3 brothers who are Rugby League freaks really. My younger brother had to play soccer until he was older. I tagged along with him at Katoomba United in the Blue Mountains. But I got roped in to play and I loved it from then on.

“When I started at the University of Canberra we had one team. We were never taken seriously right through until one year we had a team in every Grand Final.
Rooball insights

Kath is now the Rooball coach at Woden Valley. Small Sided Games (SSG’s)are now being pushed hard across Australia by the Football Federation.

Kath says, ”The SSG’s have been in for a couple of years now, so bit by bit we are getting used to them. This is all about communication and re-education of parents who may have played the game, or parents who never did play these rules. It’s not going too badly.

“It’s not quite standardised yet across the ACT, but everyone’s doing their best. Not all clubs are cashed up. Some have new size goals for the Under 11’s and 12’s and some don’t. Everyone is doing their level best to get the kids on a field of any size.

“The younger children (3-8’s) all they want to do is be with their mates and kick a ball and run around. Children at that age, developmentally just play and play and keep going. With less kids on the field and more time to touch a ball and experience actually kicking a ball around there are a lot of positive attitudes coming out and the kids are happy.

“My son coaches an Under 8 team. The refs are great. They actually help the kids.
“The SSG’s gives the kids a better opportunity to be involved,” says Kath.

Some concerns have been raised about the lack of goalkeepers.

“A lot of kids do not have the gross motor skills to goal keep a ball. If you put kids in too early they will get scared and walk away from the game.

“We’ll see how it goes but I’m all for the SSG’s.”

Kanga Cup

Kath has been busy organising for this years Kanga Cup. There are a record 229 teams entered. Smashing last years previous high of 175.

“We’ve got 9 teams in, five boys and four girls. It’s just fantastic. One of our teams, the Under 13 girls won the plate last year, so they’re back.

“I think this tournament is everything it should be, the whole spirit of football, even getting together with the teams on Monday night for dinner,it’s great!”

And the Nearpost team thanks Kath Temple for her time. You can catch the full interview on the podcast on www.nearpost.blogspot.com

Next week’s guest is Director of Coever Coaching Australia Jason Lanscar. If you have any questions you’d like raised with Jason email them to flanagan.eamonn@gmail.com

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's Kath Temple here

I come from Weston Creek Soccer club NOT Woden Valley!

Correction reqired guys.

Kath

Eamonn said...

errr apologies Kath..eating humble pie as we speak.

Eamonn